25 October 2008

Spicy Cocoa Gingersnaps




I wanted some molasses cookies, badly. I also wanted that spicy chocolate gingerbread cake. So, I decided to try to come up with my own little concoction...

There isn't much 'snap' in these gingersnaps - they are a bit more on the soft side, with crispy outsides. Just flat with a few roadbumps from the bittersweet chocolate; next time I'll try to get them a bit poofier.
These little suckers will curb many a craving, though - chocolate? Yup. Spicy? You got it. And sweet and warm with spices? Bingo :) These babies are a triple threat.

Spicy Cocoa Gingersnaps
(recipe by Nemmie)



Ingredients:
2 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
1 ½ tsp. ginger
1 tsp. chili powder
¾ tsp. ground cloves
¼ tsp. allspice
¾ c. shortening
½ c. dark brown sugar
½ c. granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. molasses
1 c. bittersweet chocolate, cut into chunks

Preheat oven to 375 F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, sift and mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, chili powder, cloves, and allspice. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugars, until fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add the egg, vanilla, and molasses. Beat until combined, about 30 seconds.

Add dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Stir in bittersweet chocolate bits.

Roll dough into small balls, and flatten ever-so-slightly with the palm of your hand. Place on cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake 11-13 minutes, then cool on racks.




7 comments:

Cherie said...

Those look amazing!

Snooky doodle said...

yummy treats. Can I use butter instead of shortening ?

Stacey said...

Looks so tasty!

Owd Müller said...

Thanks cherie and stacey!

Snooky - you can use butter. Usually shortening helps cookies to stay "poofier", but these were still flat so it didn't really make much difference :)

Nemmie said...

Ha! Sorry - comment above is actually from me, I was on my Hub's computer and answered from there...

Patricia Scarpin said...

Nemmie, I adore ginger cookies and these, full of chocolate, are even more delicious, I'm sure!

Sara said...

I am terrible at baking, but I followed your recipe exactly, and these came out wonderfully. Thank you so much for the recipe!